Friday 9 October 2009

OSGB GRID REF. SW343251. LAND'S END

ST. JUST TOWN CENTRE
COAST PATH AT NIGHT
BY THE FINISH SIGN
ME WITH WELCOMING PARTY JENNIFER, TERRY AND CHRIS
Since I had missed my earlier rest day, I decided to take one on the Thursday instead. Much of my clothing was wet from the previous day's downpour so I dried what I could. Other than that, I spent the morning in the Youth Hostel writing my diary and in the afternoon I took a walk to explore St. Just's small but attractive town centre. I spent an hour browsing in a little combined Cafe/Bookshop and, after wavering for a while because it would add to my rucksack load, I bought a large heavy autobiographical book by Doug Scott called Himalayan Climber. 

In the evening I shared supper with Saskia and then retired to the Hostel's communal lounge to read. A group of American students on an educational trip were staying at the Hostel and I had a very enjoyable conversation with them.

After everyone else went to bed, I remained in the lounge until after midnight. Around 2.50am Friday morning I started to prepare my gear and pack my rucksack. Half an hour later I left the Youth Hostel wearing my head-torch. My plan was to walk the South West Coast Path to Land's End at night. 

It was notably cold but the air was clear. The path from the Youth Hostel was indistinct and hard to follow in the dark, but by maintaining a westerly heading I knew that it would eventually intersect the Coast Path. Once it had, I could then follow the Coast Path south towards Land's End. The lights at Sennen Cove and the Land's End Theme Park were visible ahead of me, along with the flashing light of the Longships Lighthouse, a mile and a quarter offshore.

The Coast Path is quite rocky in the vicinity of Land's End and it is necessary to scramble over piles of boulders in several places. The tide was out so when I reached Whitesand Bay I could walk on the sandy beach all the way to the jetty at Sennen Cove. After the steep climb out of the Cove, Land's End is just 15 minutes walk away. 

My BBC Radio Solent interview was due at 6.45am so I'd timed my approach to the Land's End Theme Park to coincide with this. I was thus able to reach and touch the sign that symbolises the end of my trek whilst I was 'on air'.

So that's it as far as my journey is concerned; three months of experiences that will take me a while to fully assimilate. 

Things are not quite over yet, though, as Chris (a.k.a. George) and friends Jennifer and Terry had arranged to meet me by the sign at midday. I therefore withdrew to Sennen for a while before returning for the 'ceremonial' finish at the expected time.

Roughly an hour later fellow walkers John and Jane, who I'd met in Fort William, turned up. Personal reasons had forced them to curtail their John o'Groats to Land's End walk early on, but they were able to return to complete the latter stages of their planned route. Their walk was not over yet as they will be continuing on to Falmouth over the next week, but it was good to have them share the celebratory bubbly that Chris had brought with her. 

I think this is a good time to remind readers that my walk has been in aid of Cancer Research UK and the British Heart Foundation. This task will continue until I reach my £10,000 target. In any case, this blog is not yet finished as I will be writing an 'after the walk' summary once I have come down to earth again.